Mushrooms that have popped up in yards might be poisonous to pets

With the recent bout of rainy weather, an onslaught or mushrooms have been popping up from the ground across the region, and they can be tempting to dogs.

Be very careful when you walk your dog or let the pet outside that it doesn’t try to eat one. The mushrooms are very toxic and could poison your dog.

Here are some symptoms dog may show if a toxic mushroom is ingested:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Abdominal pain
  • Weakness
  • Lethargy
  • Yellowing of the skin (jaundice)
  • Uncoordinated movements
  • Excessive drooling (ptyalism)
  • Seizures
  • Coma

The severity of the poisoning will depend on the type of mushroom and the amount your dog consumes.